Tuesday, January 27, 2004

28 Where is the good news?

About 10 years ago I visited a Methodist church. I was surprised and saddened--not by the congregation, they were lovely people, but by the deplorable state that the Methodists had fallen into. It was such a magnificent denomination, and very important in our country’s history.

Counting the choir, the minister, the organist, the guest (me) and the congregation, there were 18 people. Their income comes from renting out the building to a pre-school and an Episcopal congregation. The youngest member of the church is 65. There is no Sunday School, so choir is the church’s only activity.

The sad fact is, and it is happening in all main-line Protestant churches including the Brethren and Lutheran and American Baptist, there is no message--no gospel. I couldn’t even say the confession and creed (used that Sunday)--couldn’t believe a word of it. I’m not going to ask God for “more doubts so I can search more,” which is what was in the confession, nor will I pray to “Jesus, my example,” which was in the creed.

I felt so sorry for the pastor and her people. She didn’t speak to their needs, and it must be agonizing not to know what to do to give them something they can use in their lives as one by one, they say good-bye to their fellow members who die or go into nursing homes.

That was years ago. I wish I could say things have changed, that pastors in main-line churches are preaching the good news every Sunday to the people in the pews, but they are probably rallying them against the war, or cautioning them that pro-choice legislation is at risk, or urging them to be considerate of the Islamic faith.

What’s a poor sinner to do?