Saturday, February 28, 2004

53 Honor your father and mother

Honor your father and mother--which is the first commandment with a promise--that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth. Eph. 6:1-3
This morning I had a piece of apple pie with a slice of cheese to honor Mom. She made fantastic pies, and a slice of pie was her favorite breakfast! I wrote this poem for her when she was 85.
Pie for Breakfast

My favorite breakfast,
(Twinkle in her eye),
Must certainly be a
Piece of apple pie.

Doughnut, toast, cereal,
All of those are good.
But I'm feeling hungry
Is it understood?

Oil, flour, water, salt,
That is all it takes,
Crust so light and tender,
Easier than cakes.

Cherry, lemon, pumpkin,
Green tomato, lime.
Sour cream or Shoo fly,
If you have the time.

Bagels, biscuits, gravy,
They don't make me sigh,
Nor jelly on a roll:
Give me apple pie.

Freedom, wild abandon,
Oh, I love it so!
And now I'm Eighty-five,
Who can tell me no!
I'll honor Dad, who always seemed to be dieting after he gave up smoking in 1949, at lunch with a can of Slimfast.

No comments: