Saturday, May 20, 2006

352 Children's sermons

Last Sunday (Mothers' Day) I attended both the traditional (some liturgy and hymns) and informal (contemporary songs, no liturgy, no robe for the pastor) services, so it was the first I'd noticed we didn't have a children's sermon. I suppose I'd been thinking it was still being offered at a service I wasn't attending (we have 11 services at 3 locations). But then I read this article on 20 reasons to ditch the children's sermon, and the first point was "This practice is a fading fad of the 1970's and 80's, along with avocado-colored appliances." Followed by this: "Children don't miss this practice when it's discontinued. Indeed, some are relieved that they don't have to be nudged into the aisle."

This article is from a defunct Wisconsin Synod journal called the Motley Magpie, and they wouldn't approve of anything we do at our Lutheran church, but still, it is an interesting view point, most likely shared by pastors of many denominations.

There were no children's sermons or children's church when I was growing up. We were expected to draw pictures and fold the bulletin into little boats.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont quite understand your last comment. Are you trying to say that you should have children's sermons? If you are and which is what I believe you are implying with saying that if it were not for children's sermons the children would have nothing to do all service. Then I would say you have a terrible view of worship. The children should and can learn from the liturgy (if you even know what that really is).

Norma said...

I was saying in my final comment (meant to be humor) that as a child, I don't remember the service being geared to children. We were supposed to be quiet. I'm sure I absorbed much more than I thought--learning hymns and prayers.