Friday, August 22, 2008

Sort of makes you miss Rock of Ages, doesn't it?

Many years ago I heard that "Rock of Ages" wasn't in our hymnal because it had a waltz beat, and of course, dancing was a sin [Church of the Brethren]. Now barking and rolling on the floor is part of some Christian sects. I doubt that this one has made it into too many hymnals, but it is evidence that if the political left is afraid of Christians, they should just move along and look for another boogy-man. If this is what is being raised up, we're all going to the funny farm.
    If you feel too serious and kind of blue,
    I've got a suggestion, just the thing for you!
    It's a little unconventional, but so much fun,
    That you won't even mind when people think you're dumb!

    Just come to the party God is throwing right now,
    We can all lighten up and show the pagans how
    Christians have more fun and keep everyone guessing,
    Since the Holy Ghost sent us the Toronto blessing!

    I used to think life was serious stuff;
    I didn't dare cry, so I acted kind of tough
    'Til the Spirit of God put laughter in my soul,
    Now the Holy Ghost's got me, and I'm out of control!

    CHORUS:
    Now I'm just a party animal grazing at God's trough,
    I'm a Jesus junkie, and I can't get enough!
    I'm an alcoholic for that great New Wine,
    'Cause the Holy Ghost is pouring, and I'm drinking all the time!

    Now I laugh like an idiot and bark like a dog,
    If I don't sober up, I'll likely hop like a frog!
    And I'll crow like a rooster 'til the break of day,
    'Cause the Holy Ghost is moving, and I can't stay away!

    Now I roar like a lioness who's on the prowl,
    I laugh and I shake, maybe hoot like an owl!
    Since God's holy river started bubbling up in me,
    It spills outside, and it's setting me free!

    So, I'll crunch and I'll dip and I'll dance round and round,
    'Cause the pew was fine, but it's more fun on the ground!
    So I'll jump like a pogo stick, then fall on the floor,
    'Cause the Holy Ghost is moving, and I just want MORE!
    Kathryn Riss [who seems to have God-given permission to repost this]
And so many Lutherans don't like the new hymnal. We should be grateful we didn't get this gal on the committee!

No comments: