Thursday, March 04, 2004

59 Two Jesuses, please

One Saturday morning at a coffee shop (not the one here, but the one in Bassett's IGA near Lake Erie) a man strides up to the counter, sits down and orders "two Jesuses." I have my nose buried in a book, but that order did interrupt my train of thought. Two? You order this at a coffee shop? What sort of a kook is this?

The waitress starts to prepare the order, but I couldn't see what she was doing. Then he proceeds to tell the waitress, and anyone else close by, that he had driven in from Cleveland, and found a lot of snow driving through urine. That one I could figure out. Huron, Ohio is between Cleveland and the coffee shop, I had scraped snow off my windshield, so I figured he'd driven through Huron on his way to get a cup of coffee in a snow squall.

I looked at the posted menu. Latte. Breakfast pizza. Hot chocolate. Flavored coffees. Muffins. No Jesus. Finally I figured it out. He'd ordered TWO CHEESES (probably a breakfast sandwich on a bun or bagel or muffin).

No comments: