Wednesday, March 10, 2004

63 Purpose Driven Panera's

Five days a week I have my morning coffee at Panera's Bread, read three newspapers, and enjoy a warm fire and classical music. Two days a week I enjoy my coffee at Caribou where I used to stop when I worked at the university and chat with the folks I know there. After a period of time, you develop a nodding acquaintance with the people passing through. A few weeks ago a guy I met there came over and fixed my computer problem.

I often take along my latest copy of American Artist or Wired, to read if the papers are late or the news is boring. Some days I carry in The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren.

I don't know how useful the book is for evangelizing, but it certainly is an aid for starting up conversations with strangers and finding new Christians friends when I have it on my table while I reading the paper.

I've met the counter person, Chris, an OSU student and a Baptist (see #30) with whom I then had discussions on The Passion; a man who works at McConnell Heart, a Presbyterian, carried his into the Bethel Rd. store Tuesday and we discussed the book; a super-enthusiastic, athletic father who raves about his 8 year old's sports activities told me he got a copy from his family for Christmas; a member of my church stopped at the table to talk about the book; and today a school teacher from a vo-tech school stopped at the table to talk about the book.

A high carb, high purpose bakery.

No comments: